The problem is:
- Someone is selling my art illegally on Etsy.
- So I file a DMCA takedown notice.
- Then Etsy removes the listings that I reported.
- But sometimes the infringers file fake counter notices, claiming that they have the rights to sell my designs.
- Etsy accepts those fake notices and restores the illegal listings.
I don’t yet know how to deal with this — I will need to consult my attorneys. Etsy is clearly accepting fake counter even though the notices are clearly not valid — for example, they don’t contain an address.
I don’t have a solution for this issue yet. I am simply writing it here to rise awareness. I know other must be facing the same problem.